Tuesday, October 28, 2008

10. Happy Diwali!!

Happy Diwali Everyone!!!!

Ahh where to start?? I went to Seoul on Saturday, I got on the bus (which cost 19,500won!!) and it took me a total of 5hours and 10mins to get there! I must have missed a change over somewhere.. but it’s great that I had a book with me! I got there and headed straight for Gloria Jeans in this place called Yeoksam - I got off the metro and out at gate #6, and started walking straight (this was what the Gloria people told me in Gangnam). I found a KFC on the way and thought I'd try it.. I had Spicy but its nothing like we have at home.. they have herbs and stuff all through it. Anyhoo then I went into Gloria.. and here's one of those spoilers so stop reading the next sentence if you don’t like spoilers. I'm not going to tell you a thing about it, nope not one.. you have to come and see it for yourself, and I can tell you with 100% certainty that you will be in awe! Next I got to Itaewon to look for slippers (we have to wear slippers at school, shoes aren't allowed inside). I ate 2 Samosa’s and some cha at my regular Indian place and then went off to find some accommodation.. everything was booked except this one hotel called Hotel Itaewon, and they were only giving me a discount because I got there at 11pm and told them I’d leave at 8am.. 80,000won later I’m fast asleep in a beautiful room after having the hottest shower I’ve ever had in my life! Oh and I had a kebab from a Turkish guy who was selling them off the back if his truck.. it was ok. Long story short, I did some more shopping in Itaewon, went to Yeoksam one last time and then went home.. the return trip only took 3hours.

For Diwali I intend on making some Halwa.. just like my momma makes it. I’ve got it all in my head now but the ingredients look as though they’re pre-war era! I’ll give it a go and see how it turns out. Last night they took me out for dinner and told me which teachers were my Naanuu (older sister) and which were my Hyoung (older brothers), we all got a little tipsy (especially the older ones), and I acted to be the same as them for funs sake. It was a lot of fun even though we barely understood each other.. the principle is a really funny man. All of a sudden he went very serious and said something in Korean at one point.. I knew it was a serious topic because when the Principle – a man of so much standing and respect becomes serious in the middle of a light-hearted dinner, then you know that everyone’s eyes are on him, and that it’s important. The teacher next to me turned around and translated in a whisper saying: “He says he envies you… because you’re hairy.” I kid you not; I had to use every power I had in me not to burst out laughing right there and then. I merely nodded my head and poured him another shot of Soju, whilst inside I was on the floor laughing so hard that I had tears in my eyes!!!

Now for the future.. tonight we have a ‘reading camp’ where the teachers and students stay in one of the rooms reading English books, playing games, and watching movies all night long. I have no idea how we’re going to teach in the morning but they seem to be quite confident. Then on Thursday (30) and Friday (31) we go to a Korean Folk Museum and Everland for a field trip! And I guess that’s about it.. oh during this week, the leaves off most of the trees have fallen.. it took maybe three days for these trees to end up looking like this from fully yellow to nothingness.. winter is coming!!

3 comments:

Taj said...

Now that is really funny-- was this principle a baldy.

Happy Diwali, Kuk. May your halwa turn out exactly the way it should be. Keep us posted.

Anonymous said...

HAPPY DIWALI AND AN AWESOMELY PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR TO YOU!

I'm struggling to not laugh out loud with the hairy comment but ppl are looking at me wondering why I'm crying! That is soo funny!

A sleepover at school and then field trips?? Boy, we migrated to the wrong country!

How did your halwa turn out?

Luv,
Bhen

Anonymous said...

“He says he envies you… because you’re hairy.”

it's 1230am and i've been reading your posts for the past 1.5hrs ..i cannot stop laughing now!!

omg, how could u not laugh?!

hahahahaha!!