Monday, October 13, 2008

4. WCM Quest - Part One

Pictures of Gangnam and a few of Mokdong..


















Obviously Huey means a totally different thing over here..

Well this weekend I decided to go to Seoul to clear my mind a bit and solve this problem I've been trying to solve. I'll tell you more about that later though. Alison asked me why I had to go to Seoul, and I explained to her that I need to be away from a problem to be able to solve it.. its just what I do. It was the first time I put it into words so I didn't even know until then. Einstein was once quoted saying "A problem cannot be solved at the same level of thinking as when it was created". I think this helps explain my theory.. I need to be away from Hongcheon to be able to solve the problem. Its more like I'm looking at it from an outsiders perspective.

Anyway, I went to Seoul to find my Gloria Jeans and to sit with my White Chocolate Mocha and ponder.. I got there on Saturday around 230pm, and the whole day was spent in Gangnam looking for it. No success so off i went to Itaewon for some Indian food. Man it was good.. there I asked the owner if he knew of any cheap place I could stay for the night; he told me of one and I was on my way.. The next day I went to Mokdong to see if they had one there.. this time adamant to find it! I noted my journey on a little memo pad I bought at the Night Markets:

After yesterdays dismal failure in Gangnam; I decided to try Mokdong which had 2 Gloria Jeans' in it's vicinity. One full store and the other a kiosk. I exited Mokdong Subway station and went looking. I walked, as I had in Gangnam, and I asked taxi drivers along the way, as well as anyone else who looked as though they had been blessed with sweet Gloria's touch. An hour later and still nothing.. time for drastic action! I found a payphone and called 1330 - Tourist Information. I was put on hold 15 minutes later I lost my patience and hung up. Ok, I said to myself, what are my options? PC Bang! So ff i went in search for a PC Cafe. I found one and asked the guy if I could used the computer for only 2mins, he offered his own. My plan was to go back to Gloria Jeans International Store Locator and ask the PC guy to write the address in Korean so I can give it to the Taxi Driver.. a simple plan, I thought.. I thought wrong! After finding out that the website doesn't actually have an address the PC guy started looking for the address using the Korean version of Google, Naver. 20 minutes later he had found it, and told me that there was only one.. the other had been closed for a while now. He said that its located in the second basement level of a department store..

I was off! I offered to pay them something but they wouldn't hear of it! I got into the cab and gave the driver the little piece of paper and when he nodded it was like Christmas had come early! Then 7even minutes later we were at the "department store". No bloody wonder nobody had heard of GJ's! This place was massive! I had actually arrived at the Hyundai Department Store (I'll load pictures in the next post, I can't at the moment). I walked in and instantly I knew that if I had asked 500people that day about GJ's I still would've been in the dark. This "department store" ended up being the pinnacle of top-end Korean Shopping.. only for the elite! I was surrounded by names such as Hugo Boss, Prada, Gucci, and Louis Vuitton most with showrooms bigger than my house!

I wont go any further until I get some pictures up.. So until next time..

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh the things we do for a WCM huh!? Gloria seems to use the "partnership" strategy quite a bit, but Even Hugo Boss is a little too much. Can't wait to hear the rest of the story.

I am very much outside your area, maybe I can help with your problem? The ability to disassociate with your problem is a difficult but very worthwhile thing to do. It taking the "sleep on it" principal to the next level. Good luck in your quest!