Thursday, October 23, 2008

9. Rain Rain Rainy Rain Rain..

This morning I woke warm and toasty thanks to my under-floor hot water heating system (I'm sure it has a name, but I have no clue what it is!). It's a great invention, and I don't know why we dont employ it in western countries.. it would be far cheaper than the usual reverse cycle A/C, and have less of an impact on the environment! It's hard to believe that a simple thing like running hot water under your floor can increase the ambient temperature my so many degree's!

Anyway, looking out of the window I noticed that it was raining; it wasn't heavy rain, but just a small drizzle. By the time I had to leave for work though, it had passed. I've made a habit of carrying my camera in my backpack with me everywhere I go, it's just that the scenery changes so dramatically here, it'd be silly not to have it. There have been a few times that I've thought "damn, if only I had my camera". You can find the pictures from this mornings walk at the bottom of this entry, I only wish that I had more time to take proper morning shots before Autumn.. yes AUTUMN.. (I've been reprimanded for calling it "Fall") starts to give way to the wonder of Winter.

So off I went to work, as usual.. and now I'm here. Today I'm assisting the third grade from 10:10-10:50, then the fourth grade from 11:00-11:40. Then I have a break until lunch at 12:30, and after lunch I have another free period. Then at 2:10pm I will be the main teacher in the combined third and fourth grade classes. Finally after that's over I have an after school class from 3:10-4:00pm, after which I will stroll back to my desk and pretend like I'm doing some work.. or what I've taken to doing as of yesterday; I'll find a nice quiet room and read my book until home time at 5:00pm.

Oh and a guy named Mr G teaches from Mon-Wed at the Middle and High Schools in Gurae! So yesterday he emailed me and told me that he's taking the teachers out for beer and fried chicken, and if I'd like to come. I was soooo excited!! I couldn't believe it, another foreigner here.. in lil 'ole Gurae!! So I went over there and he introduced me to a few teachers over there who spoke English! It was great! Mr G (Mark), has worked on cruise ships for the past 14 years and only 7 months ago started his teaching career exactly where I am now. He seems like a top bloke, and the other teachers kept on going on about how great of a Pianist he is.. he's 54 years old and he's been learning since he was eight! So I can't wait to hear him play one day! Oh and on a side note.. the fried chicken rocked!!


Pictures as promised.. The first one (if you can't make it out) is the roof's of these dilapidated houses that people still live in, I wonder how they survive in Winter though!


I'm off to assist with the third grade now.. but don't fret, I'll be back! :-D
.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have saw this dude on the train and felt like going PAPA BEAR! and giving him a hug coz he reminded me of you. But it wasn't you and again, i am not going crazy...

Luv u
Bhen

Anonymous said...

Love your photos!
Glad you found some foreigners to have a beer with. We miss you.

The underfloor heating is called Ondol - in days gone by and in the countryside and in some one level homes you can still see it heated by fire - yes, the gimgilbang in Hongcheon is heated by fires lit underfloor - I saw them stoking it. I'm going back with my camera next time.

I must get out this weekend and take some more red/yellow photos!

So, your new friend...sngle? send photos! LOL

Taj said...

BREATH TAKING PICTURES--it seems nature is turning it all for you.
ENJOY!!!!

Unknown said...

fried chicken sounds yummy! Sounds like you're keeping nice and warm in the cold weather.

Anonymous said...

you're not back yet! i'm fretting!


:$ ok i'll calm down.

yay friend chicken!

Hope you're warm and toasty...you better be!

ok...i looooove you...more!...bye!