Sunday, September 28, 2008

11. Batterbatterbatterbatterbatterrr!!

First up, the weather here has changed dramatically! It like someone just flicked a switch and said "Ok.. COLD!". And now ever since that last post, its been cold as! You can't open the windows at home anymore, and at night and in the mornings you can see your breath!! Winter's coming, and apparently its gonna be a killer! I cant wait! :D


Ok so where was I.. Oh yes, Thursday night we had a biiig one (as you can tell by that pathetic last entry on Friday). We were so excited that it was Friday the next day that we thought we'd all go out. Its funny though, it always starts off like that over here... "Hey, what are you doing? Feel like a couple of quiet ones?" then it starts growing more and more and more! We ended up getting home at 3am. I got home and Youngdong was still awake and felt like some Soju, so we went over to Family Mart and got a bottle.. Ended up getting to sleep at 530 Friday morning.


On Friday I went to work from 230pm to 9pm and again the same thing "Hey a few of us are here at Oriental Bar, come on over.. its FRIDAY!". Well a 'few' ended up being Nine foreigners, and so we moved on to Garten Beir for a bigger table. Anyway, usual story; we had a lot of fun, and I got to know the people here a bit better. Alison (my kiwi friend) had a few more than the rest of us, and provided us with entertainment for the rest of the night, it rocked! She's hilarious when she's drunk.. and she didn't even have sheep as props! I find that "going out for drinks" is really a cover-up expression. What we really go out for is a few laughs but mostly the company, the people who we have no other choice but to become close to. So the group began to diminish as it usually does, and I ended up getting home at 5am (Hey, its Friday!).


So at 830am I get a call from Alison asking if I wanted to see some funny pictures.. the first thing i said was Why arent you sleeping!?!? I seriously have no idea how she did it but she barely slept and was fine the next day! So I told her I'm going to sleep some more.. It was not to be.. Ray called at 9am telling me that he's at Dunkin Donuts having coffee and leaving to go to Seoul soon. I told him I'll be there, and an hour later I met up with Ray and Olivia (A new hagwon teacher from some in New York).


I happened to be fasting that day, until about midday when I'd get a call telling me that I could eat again. So at around 1115am we got on the bus, and i fell asleep as I find i normally do on the bus now. At 1pm we got off at DongSeoul bus station and still no call.. I was starving by this time. So i called home and they told me that Chook had sent me a text message.. just for future reference; I barely recieve any text messages here.. sometimes they go through but mostly not.. So at least I could eat now. We headed to Itaewon to meet up with a friend of Olivia's. He got there and we headed in in the direction of some foood.. Ray loves his Hummus, so when we saw a Turkish place called Ali Baba's, thats where we went.. he almost ran in there the poor guy! The Hummus was different to what we usually get back home.. we thought it was fresh and thats why..


Then Ray said that a few of the others from Hongcheon are at a Ball Game, so off we went! Its the first time I've been to a Baseball game and man was it awesome! The atmosphere was electric and the crowds were basically devided into teams. On our left were the Danghae Lions and on our right was the bulk of the home team: the Doosan Bears. We happened to be going for the home team. It just seemed so surreal, I caught myself thinking "How the hell am I here?". The sun was setting over the city and the sky was a masterful mosiac of clouds comforting huge buildings brimming with Saturday night buzz!! All around me were people yelling and shouting and chanting BatterBatterBatter!! I'm hoping to get some pictures from Ray's camera sometime soon, so when I do I'll post them up here! It absolutely rocked!!! After the game I decided I needed more sleep so i headed home with Mike, Ray and the others went to Gangnam, which is apparently the higher-class side of Seoul. They were headed to some clubs Ray knew of there..


Mike and I got off the station at around 11pm, and decided to go grab some food. Burger King at the stadium was ok, but just not enough.. So off we went to grab some food, and then Mike felt like walking around the city for a while. We did that, and we chatted, I got to know this person known as Mike on a deeper level. As I mentioned before, because we're so isololated from anything western, over here we're forced to be extraverted, and so the small group of foreigners here get to know one another even without meaning to.


That was basically all I have to share in this post. In about half an hour I'm meeting up with Mike and Natalie (a new teacher from Canada), who can play the fiddle. So we're going to sit back by some river and listen to Mike and Natalie do their thing.. It just seems fitting for a Sunday afternoon..
Here are the pics I just took from Alisons camera this afternoon:



Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

QuickPost

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

QuickPost

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

QuickPost

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

QuickPost

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

QuickPost

There was Me, Jesse (yellow shirt), Alison (white top), Mike, and this pic above is of Nathalie. A dragonfly found her violin stick a comfy place to sit for a while..

3 comments:

Taj said...

HEY KUK
WHAT CAN I SAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Shawad! When did you last sleep for a 'normal' length of time?? :p Pics look really nice. Good to see you're enjoying yourself and doing everything and anything that comes your way. Loving the blog! :)

xo

Taj said...

!!!!!!!!!!!continued from first comment-------

Haven't been there but surely DONE THAT