Saturday, September 6, 2008

4. Tiny Jarred!


Well I left you at Friday night. After work I called Mike and asked if they went out or not.. he told me yes they had and they were at this place. I had no idea where it was so I asked him to meet me at Baskin Robins in 5 minutes.. So I met him, an American guy about 29ish.. and we were walking down the street when he suddenly disappeared! I looked around and he went into this little doorway lined with this eerie green light. It was sort of hidden and if I hadn't have stopped then I wouldn't have noticed it at all!! He told me it's a German Beer Garden, but it has no German Beer! Can you imagine German anything is a little country town like this?? So I went up and met about 16 foreigners there! Most of them from America, one Korean teacher, one Canadian, and one Scottish guy from Mongolia! Ages varied from 26-35, but the Mongol-scot was about 45-50yo.




They had these huuuge beer jugs called Pitchers I think (or maybe that's just what the yanks call them), the locals call them 2000cc, for about $6. Introductions were a bit tough, most of them couldn't pronounce my name, until one girl yelled: "The Subway Guy!!". I thought wahhaat???? They were talking about Jarred the Subway guy hehe.. I think that's what most of them know me as now! So after a few more beers and a lot of making friends and exchanging numbers and joking around (especially with the Scotsman), they decided to go to another place, I thought I'd go along for the ride - I was having way too much fun for a small thing like sleep to stand in my way! Actually that's not entirely correct, you see, the owner of the bar was a friend of Kang Young the Korean teacher who was with us, and they asked to quieten down a little. When Kang Young relayed the message there was heaps of shouting and laughing and one of them yelled out: "WHAT THEY WANT US TO BE QUIET?? DON'T THEY KNOW WE'RE AMERICAN??" (ok so that was a filtered version of what he said, but you get the general idea). We didn't get kicked out, technically that doesn't happen here.. but I think because the owner was a friend of Kangyoung we decided to go somewhere that they could make as much noise as they wanted!



Where else would we go but a singing room!! I'll tell you now, the singing room is so much more fun with friends and a few drinks in you, instead of grape juice poppers and six children! They of course, sang songs that I knew, only a bit though. There was a lot of Coldplay, and Kylie Minogue, and even Living on a Prayer from Bon Jovi!! We could barely talk by the end of it!! It rocked!! :D After that the group had diminished to about 7 of us. Most had gone home, and Scotty, whose name changed every 5 minutes was too drunk, so I put him in a cab and sent him home. Now I call him Fat Bastard (but he's skinny) - in a Scot accent, and he calls me Tiny. We decided to go home which was a five minute walk away! And so ended my awesome night.. Tonight I've been invited to Kang Young's son's first birthday party followed by Val's birthday bash.. I told YoungDong that I'll stay in with him tonight so I had to refuse.. that, and I dont have a present!



And today? I hear you ask.. well today I woke up at 11:30am, and Youngdong said we should go down to a restaurant to eat some food. We walked about ten minutes away (which incidentally ended up being near the rice fields I trekked near on August 27th's entry) and we sat on the floor as a feast of seafood noodles were brought to us. Youngdong didn't know the English name for oyster so I told him and then he asked me what this other thing was.. I had NO idea! He told me that it's seafood, so I asked if I just put it in my mouth and eat it like that. He said yes. But just as I was about to put it in my mouth he said "Wait! When you eat then you feel BANG so be careful". I tried to get him to explain to me what the hell he was on about, but his broken English couldn't explain more. So I ate it, it was slimy in my mouth, but that was nothing compared to biting into it! I bit into it and out exploded this really hot, slimy stuff that tasted like the ocean! Not in a good way either! THEN there was the rest of it.. you know when you walk past Chinatown and sometimes they have these dried fish shops, yeah well that smell is what this tasted like! And it was hard so I had to keep chewing it as more and more of this hot stuff kept coming out of it! It's something I've put into the "Experience Once" chapter of my life. Here's a bad drawing of what it sort of looked like..


Ok so that's all for now, and if your hanging out for more pictures, I should have them tomorrow! I'm going to a Buddhist Temple called Sutasa, which Stevo told me about..

No comments: