Thursday, September 4, 2008

3. Steeevo!!

Last night I was walking home from the Hagwon, and I saw a guy sitting in a coffee shop on his laptop. When I looked closer I noticed he was white!! I dont think I've ever been that happy to see someone because of the colour of their skin.. wait that came out wrong.. let me explain.. Living here means that I haven't had one good long English conversation in nearly a month. Not only that but when I do talk English, it has to be sloooowwww and steaddy so the children can understand me. So seeing this guy there, a foreigner.. maybe a possible friend, I jumped at the opportunity.




So I went inside and ordered a Hot Chocolate, and sat down on the next table to finish a letter I was writing home. He seemed very busy on his laptop so I thought I shouldn't interrupt him. Anyway, I saw he was online so I pulled out my laptop and connected to some random network. That's when Becca started talking to me! She said "imagine your hitting on a girl.. but don't go too far". You see, I didnt know how to approach the guy and I thought "Hey, your white lets be friends" wouldn't really work. So taking Bec's advice I went up and said "Hey, you from around here? Or just visiting?". What he said next shattered all my hopes of conversation.. "Verduchski" or something to that effect. So I say: "Do you speak English".. and that's when he started laughing and said "Hell yeah man how are ya?". He was playin with me!




So long story short, we sat there for the next hour or two just talking! Man was it good conversation.. he actually understood my jokes, instead of me saying it and laughing at them myself.. So I told him my situation and he gave me all these contacts of other foreigners around here. Apparently there's about 20 of them!! Wooo!!! Then he started to name off the places I should go.. how best to get there.. what I should do with my spare time... what I should eat.. etc etc etc. THEN he told me that he's leaving for Russia today at Noon. :( He's going to stay with a Russian girls family who he met in Seoul while he was working at a Hagwon there last year. But it's for three months and he's coming back to Korea on November 27th.




He ended up being the friendliest person I've met in a month! So tonight as I was walking home from the Hagwon, I gave Mike a call (Mike being another foreigner, Steve's friend) and asked if he wanted to have a couple of beers.. He said he can't cos he hasn't slept in 2 days but tomorrow night (Friday night) there's this big foreigner's dinner followed by drinks and playing pool at some pub/bar/restaurant. I wont be able to make it for dinner because of work, but I'm definitely going to meet everyone for drink etc.. I cant wait! A chance to meet people.. finally!!!




Ok so thats all I wanted to report really.. oh and in class when I told one of the older ones that I'm Hindu he said Namaste! That was pretty cool!

Ok thats all for now.. :)

1 comment:

Taj said...

Now you got the idea. Soon you will be so involved that you will hardly have time to sit with your laptop. And boredom will be a thing of the past.
Enjoy these times for it will never come back.
BUT donot forget who you are and what your main reasons are to be there.