Monday, April 20, 2009

5. Refresh!

4^C

Non-stop rain and howling winds!

The bitterness of winter has died away. Spring is finally upon us and though winters’ cold grasp is still remnant now and then; it is safe to say that Spring has arrived. This is my first real Spring.. as comparisons with Australia fall short of explanation. Where hot and cold seasons prevailed, Korea’s contrary and more traditional approach define the four true seasons in a decidedly opposed manner.

The arrival of the Birds is the foremost noticeable factor that a change is approaching. After wisely having spent the colder months in warmer climates, the cheerful chattering of birds shatter the cold silence, acting as herald for the oncoming spell of warm and temperate weather.

Then tentatively the trees start to blossom; always weary of winters lasting clutch. For once a tree has decided to blossom, a minor relapse of winter – for even one night – will tarnish the blossoms and burn the newly born through the immensity of its frost. It is therefore a delicate balance of vast import to any plant life: knowing when it is safe to bloom.

Next, the sun re-gains its warmth. Warmth not felt for many months’ returns to the ecosystem unleashing immeasurable rejuvenating power. Suddenly the mountains are speckled with splotches of brilliantly florescent greens and reticent yellows; not to mention the vivid purples, soft pinks and bright whites of the various cherry blossoms.

In due course the rains arrive to finalize the revolt. Washing away all gloom and despair, filling the air with the coarse fragrance of freshly soaked Earth. Lasting for days on end, the rains flood rivers and streams which stagger under the awesome load and fill each chasm with refreshing new life!



Ok enough of that.. as you can tell, Spring is a lovely time of the year.. even without the fancy words attached to it. Now, how about a story from today..?

It absolutely amazes me the different ways Korea has surprised me so far. I sat there quietly eating my lunch, minding my own business, when all of a sudden I'm bombarded with: "Shiv, I heard you're getting married this year.. when?" I don't have the slightest idea how this rumour started, especially since I'm in such a small school! Naturally I asked about it, and apparently I brought my girlfriend to school once and introduced them to the teachers. That's when it clicked.. Pav and Shelly came to visit and they totally ignored what I said about them being my friends, and automatically married me off to one of them! I have a strong suspicion that Soju had a large part to play in this..

3 comments:

Shai Shandil said...

Oiiiye where's me invite?

Bhen said...

OOh, so will the wedding be in Korea? Maybe Spring next year? I hear Korea is beautiful in Spring :oP

Love
Bhen

Varuna aka Shelllllstaaa said...

LOL how many times.. "FRIEND WHO IS GIRL" hahahaha