Wednesday, April 15, 2009

3. Night Blossom

10^C
Chilly wind, rain, and gloomy all round..
Spring is finally coming to my little village, sure it was only a couple of months late.. but hey.. better late than never right? Last weekend I went to a Cherry Blossom Festival in Gangneung which is on the East coast. It was amazing.. I had a great time with people I met during the orientation and there was one particular are where the blossoms lined the streets. They really are beautiful trees, though the petals fall off at the slightest breeze. The Koreans believe in an underlying lesson that can be learnt from these trees. The flowers only appear during a short and fleeting period; this symbolizes that our own lives are very short and we must make the most of it in the little time we have here, for at any moment a slight wind can blow us down into the dark abyss. Ok so it’s not that dramatic, but I thought it’d be fun to make the story a little “livelier”.

Oh another funny thing happened during class last week. In Korea instead of “blah blah blah” they say “mo mo mo”. The target language to be learnt in that particular lesson was: “Where is my pencil”. It just so happened that they grasped that concept quite well, even after playing a game with it, and getting bored. So then I proceeded to explain to them that they can use the words “Where is..” for anything. After a while of having them repeat things such as “Where is the bus terminal” or “Where is my book”, finally I asked if they understood. One boy stood up and said to the rest of the class “Where is my mo mo?”; and they all understood. I on the other hand, was almost on the floor trying to conceal my laughter. (Truth be told; I was reminded of Chook and our trip to Singapore). If you’re not Fijian-Indian, you may not understand.. sorry.

At the moment the weathers’ turned gray and gloomy, and I’m sick. The weather has been fluctuating for the past few weeks now; for example it was a warm 26^C with beautiful sunshine last week, and now it’s back down to 10^C and raining. It’s only the second time I’ve needed to take a sick day in my seven odd months here. It’s nothing serious, just a sore throat, nose, muscles, joints, and a headache. I’ve got some drugs (and no Pixie, not the type that make me hallucinate!), so I’m hoping I’ll be over this soon. I loathe being sick.

Last night I went out and decided it was a great night to take some pictures of the surrounding area. So off I went in search of the perfect shot.. as you can tell they aren’t all that great. I still have to figure out how to take good night pictures; I think it may have something to do with the wind moving the branches as well.

I hope you like them..













3 comments:

Pixie said...

Hehe...suurree whatever you say. Hope you feel well soon! Oh and the cherry blossoms look beautiful!

Taj said...

"NA, HAMAAR NAHI". Ye bub, are you sure it was not your one - the little bloke was enquiring about in Kuks' class?

choooork! said...

hahah! that's gold!