Tuesday, November 18, 2008

4. Hows the weather?


I write to you today in at least two layers of clothing. Including two pairs of socks, long johns, jeans, t-shirt, jacket, and beanie.. I'd have my snow gloves on too but then I wouldn't be able to type!
If you haven't got the point.. its bloody cold up here!!!! I was informed today that all my classes after lunch had been cancelled because we're going to a Book Festival, and another place where the kids would perform their Okorina. The temp at midday was -3 celcius!!!! So after lunch (which happened to be curried vege's for me) we were off to Yeongwol. The kids were great and I can't believe how musically talented they are over here! Knowing how to read sheet music is a common thing over here.. it still amazes me how some are able to look at the sheet music and be able to hum the melody! Anyway, we had a great time and then just before we came back here I asked to stop over and get some supplies for me. The teachers all laugh at my inability to 'cope' with the cold here.. I don't think I show it all that much though. I mean I've only been caught a few times sitting in the sun or in front of a heater after being outside.


Oh and because we're in a valley, the wind here never ceases!! It just keeps blowing, and its not uncommon to see mini twisters in the playground.. but still sooooo freezing! Inevitably, I've caught a cold here and am on heavy medication to soothe it (thanks Pixie!!!). Anyway, without further ado, may I introduce my new best friends:


Yes, what you see there are snow gloves, my brand new beanie (complete with pompom), and thermal undies.. I'd like to thank my momma, who signed up on eBay, for the long-johns! These things are unbelievable! It's the first time I've had to wear longjohns and they rock! They keep sooo warm!!!
Lastly, we played a game in Nokjeon with the first and second graders the other week. It's where the class sits in a circle and then I ask them to draw a head, and pass it on, then draw a body, pass it on, draw acccessories, pass it on etc. Then they have to tell me a story about it. Well one littly didn't want to play and was intent on drawing his own picture all throughout. So I let him be, and at the end of the class he came and presented me with this masterpiece:
Free Image Hosting at <a href=www.ImageShack.us" />

QuickPost Quickpost this image to Myspace, Digg, Facebook, and others!
If your wondering, the words say something like "Yongwoluh Sonsengnim" meaning English Teacher. Ok, I'm going to go and sleep soon seeing as I really need to get over this cold, and I don't want my fingers to fall off.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ahh that's where this pic came from! ..lol can the kids just not participate??

..that's a pretty decent sketch for a 7 yr old!